Franchise Overview: Kona Ice
Kona Ice is a franchise of modern ice cream trucks, which began franchising in 2008, only a year after the first truck hit the streets. Kona Ice sells shaved ice, an alternative to standard ice cream, allowing customers to mix and match their desired flavors. Kona Ice trucks are tropical themed and feature large windows around the vehicle, allowing customers to peek at the frozen treats being prepared. Since the company’s founding, the franchise has exploded in popularity and was named among the fastest growing franchises. As of 2016, the company had sold about 800 trucks and is continuing to sell more.
- Franchise Fee: $15,000
- Inventory: $4,875
- Truck: $97,750
- Total Cost: $110,750
- Requires $20,000 cash deposit
- Kona Ice uses Kreations Flavorings, which meets all federal nutritional school standards.
- Kona Ice offers a customizable business model with four different additional pieces of equipment.
- Kona Ice provides customers with a unique self-serve system where they can make their own treat.
- The company works to give franchisees 100 percent satisfaction.
- Kona Ice uses a fixed royalty system. In other words, no matter how successful your Kona business is, the royalty stays the same.
Founding Success Stories
A former marketing consultant and door-to-door vacuum salesman, Tony Lamb had an interesting ice cream truck experience.
When his daughter ran outside to meet a neighborhood ice cream truck, Lamb noticed the questionable condition of the vehicle and handling of the products.
“The truck had smoke coming out of it, and the driver wasn’t even wearing a shirt,” Lamb told Business Insider. “I thought, ‘what if there were a business that guaranteed a good experience at the ice cream truck?”
This experience inspired Lamb to create Kona Ice, giving the ice cream truck concept a much needed update. Lamb’s trucks feature a tropical style of music and a Hawaiian themed décor and design. They also provide customers with the opportunity to make their own shaved ice.